Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Keep That Baby IN!

I'm so thankful today. I've hit the 20 week mark of pregnancy. And as I posted to my Facebook account, I'm halfway there. With the scares we had early on (being on restrictions and considered high risk) I'm so thankful.

Yes, pregnancy IS 40 weeks. Don't let anyone tell you different. Now, if you've had a medical reason, like my co-author and her gestational diabetes, that's different.

I had a chat with my mother in law's neighbor the other day. She, too, is expecting. But it's her first. And she said to me, "You're so lucky! You'll be scheduled. I'm such a planner, I'm hoping my doctor will schedule me too, a few weeks early since it'll be hot."

And if you know me, you know it took everything in me not to punch her in the nose.

Babies are not on YOUR schedule, you're on theirs. And the sooner you figure that out, the better. I found out the hard way, with my first. We were due November 15th. That day came and went. People were even asking why I wasn't at the hospital having him. Ummm...because he's not ready?

Liam finally arrived, ELEVEN days late, and only after some coaxing. AFTER his due date came and went, we tried the driving over the train tracks trick (and got yelled at by my Doc), spicy foods...nothing worked. He just wasn't ready to come. When he finally did, my mother (a nurse) was upset because she could tell he was WAY overdue. And you could tell. They had to add amniotic fluid and his skin was dry and wrinkled. He had almost no vernix left.

It breaks my heart to see babies born at 28, 30, 32 weeks and have to spend time in the NICU. It even breaks my heart to see babies born at 36 weeks when they get sick shortly after they're born...because they just weren't ready.

I don't care if you're uncomfortable, suck it up. I don't care if it's hot. Women have been hot for thousands of years (without air conditioning, mind you) and managed. You can too. My youngest was born in July. It was hot. I was miserable. And I had back labor at home for a full day before going in...because he just wasn't ready. This baby is due in August. It will be hot. But I won't be going in early just because I'M miserable. Because guess what, it's not about ME. It's about the health of my baby.

Suck it up. Put your big girl panties on. Be a mother and think about what is best for your kids, not what works for you.

I've always had my Docs wait until I go into labor. And I do. They don't run the show, I don't run the show. It's my baby's birthday. And HE will decide when HE'S ready to come.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, doctors these days try stopping the delivery, as they have there only dates for every one. I got pains and when to the hospital, my doctor just gave me few injections and stopped for 2 days. Anyways i leant Pregnancy is the most beautiful phase of a women’s life. Pregnancy Week by Week

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really nice to study your post. I collect some good points here. I would like to be appreciative you with the hard work you have made in skill this is great article. Toys for Toddlers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...