Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Make Monday: Make Memories

Believe it or not, I won a contest from our local TV station. KCCI, to be exact.

I know, I'm like a unicorn. Something you hear of, but you've never met. But I won.

We couldn't use the whole package, because the best time to use it was early June, when my husband was working, I was in the midst of a special congressional delegate election, establishing a new non-profit group, and the boys had scheduled for Cub Scout/Star Wars/Library camps.

But our family really needed to reconnect. And we did.

My husband was off of work early on Friday. Even though the house was a disaster, when he got home, we packed up.

We surprised the boys, all 4, after school, at Grandma's house.

I drove the 2.45 hours to the hotel room. The kids were tired, they were hungry. They wanted to know where we were going. And then we got to the hotel.

We checked in, put our bags in the room, just steps from a restaurant. A 28 inch pizza for $29.99? Cheaper than what we would pay for a meal for all 6 of us.

Yep. A good photo op. The room service information said "it feeds 10 adults". It should have read, "It feeds a Catholic family with 4 young boys."

We did have left overs...but not many.

After dinner, we went to the room and crashed. Daddy in one bed with the middles, me nursing Harry and, the oldest, Liam, with his kicking legs. It's no wonder he doesn't sleep at night!

We woke up, ate breakfast, and went back to the arcade. After about 10 minutes, David and I decided it was time to get the boys outside. Because being an arcade family is not what we want to raise the boys in.

So we visited the sites. Snake Alley....the boys ran both up and down it...


Harry chases his brothers down Snake Alley, "Wait, wait you guys! I have wittle wegs!"

And we even visited the Mississippi River.



I was "Super Mom" when I used a stick to flip a dead fish so the boys could inspect (no touch) it.


And then I thought we should visit a park....and there was a slide that made me nervous. 


But they loved it.

I thought they would love playing in leaves for a great fall photo...


And I thought wrong...


Really, Harry? Really?!?!


Thankfully, we had a great lunch at Big Muddy's...Brendan chose the kid's unlimited salad bar, and he loved it...and this money saving mom loved it! Only $1.99!


After lunch, we decided to see what else Burlington had to offer. It was the largest spine in the world, in honor of Dr. Aunt Sandy Bowman, the family Chiropractor! It is anatomically correct and carved out of a tree! Only in Iowa!

After that, we found the Our Lady of Grace Grotto. The boys loved seeing all of the Geodes and learning about the Stations of the Cross.





When I have a garden, I want this.


We went back to the hotel, played at the pool and crashed....ish.As much as you can crash with one adult and two kids in a Queen sized bed.

Sunday morning, after checking out, we went to an awesome mom and pop restaurant called the Hungry Bear.

The pancake was the size of the plate....and the syrup was in a clear squirt bottle...why I have never thought of that?!?!

And the omelet....we all ate for less than 25, including a $5 tip.


Our boys had so much fun...we made so many memories...

Throwback Tuesday post....that continues our trip....will be posted tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...