Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Shuffle Saturday: I Have a Bully

I have a confession. My second child is a bully. I'll admit it. But he's also one of the sweetest kids I know. He likes to sit next to me on the couch, putting his arm in mine while watching TV. He likes to sing to his baby brother when he's crying and is always very helpful putting diapers in the garbage. But he can be a bully.

It's a part of his personality. When he was 6 months old in the Jumparoo, he'd bounce, turn back to me and give me a "look" that would scare me. And honestly, not a lot scares me. I am a Ghost Hunter after all.

It's when I get reports from my Mother In Law that a parent claims we need to "get him under control" or that we "should just leave" while playing at the playground or Monkey Joe's. And that makes me angry. Thankfully my 6 year old can explain what actually happened, as the three year old and the other child always seem to have a limited vocabulary.

This post is mostly for the parents of the kid who claims he's been picked on. Get the whole story. Maybe your kid fell on his own. Maybe your kid started it. You can't always believe your own child, I know I don't. And you can't always coddle them. They have to grow up. They have to learn to stand up for themselves. They can't always run and tattle on the other kid. This "snowflake" children mentality has to stop. Yes, your child is special, but so is mine.

I insist on the whole story AND make my child take personal responsibility if he is the guilty party. However, if I (or my in-laws) pay to enter a play area, we will not leave because you embarrass us in front of other parents. I can honestly say that the last parent that approached my mother in law is just lucky it was her and not me. I am a bulldog when it comes to my kids. But I also believe they should be punished if they're the instigator.

I really fear the generation my children are being raised in. It seems every child has learned that if he whines and complains, he can get what he wants, even if he's the trouble maker. I refuse to raise my kids with that mentality.

Be the adult. Don't show your kids it's okay to embarrass other parents. Be diplomatic. Be responsible. BE A PARENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...