Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

Food Friday: BPA Myths

On this food friday, we won't post a recipe. However, I do want to discuss something I think is important for all parents to read. As a mom, I always try to give my kids the best. That's why when this latest BPA scare came out, I wanted to do more research.

I ran across an article that I thought spoke to me well. The author discusses the studies that the media twists and turns and uses to scare parents. 


I have two children, one boy and one girl. While I was pregnant, my doctor never told me to avoid any kind of food packaging. My child's doctor has never mentioned anything about thyroid levels with my boy, and I'm not worried. My son is a very bright, curious and healthy boy. 


Every year, my family tries to travel to Canada for a vacation and I know how strict their rules are when it comes to food. Knowing that Canada debunked the theory of BPA makes me feel even better. 


I store my leftovers in plastic containers. We eat food packaged cans and bags. This author had it right. Even though we're busy moms, we must not allow the media to scare us before we can do some research ourselves. We can not allow ourselves to be scared and swayed. Every mother wants to do what's right by her children, but I've learned we can't take "reports" at face value. We must do our own research and yes, even as the author said, use common sense.


What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...